Monday 24 June 2013

NEW WORK: Flyer Design for Jelli Fest


Recently I was commissioned by Bristol record label Jelli Records to design a flyer and poster for their upcoming festival, Jelli Fest. The organisers wanted to use the label logo's colours (red and green) and had chosen a font for the festival name. My task was to take this font ('Mexcellent 3D') and turn it into a logo that could be used across all festival publicity (posters, flyers, website) and merchandise. I then had to produce the flyer featuring the information supplied by the organisers.

Bright red and green are quite difficult colours to work with, as they fight for attention on the page. To add a bit of extra interest to the logo I added a third colour, an amber shade, which I think gives it a bit of warmth, a fun touch, and makes the logo stand out a bit more from the rest of the flyer. I tried a variety of background colours but no shade seemed to have a harmonising effect with both the red and green, so in the end I kept it simple and opted for a white background, allowing the logo to capture attention and the blocks of text and colour to draw the viewer's eye down the page. White space is a designer's best friend, after all!

The other challenge was fitting all the information on the flyer without it becoming overrun with text. I also had to think about whether the text would be legible if scaled up or down, depending on the flyer size. Allocating blocks on the page for text helped with that, and preserving the white space around them ensured the design didn't feel too cramped.

I'm looking forward to working with Jelli Records in designing the festival programme during the summer.

No comments: