Friday 23 November 2012

Christmas cards now available

Let It Snow
A few of us illustrators from Drawn in Bristol were asked to come up with two Christmas card designs each. These are now available from the Watershed shop on Bristol's Harbourside and at Paper Scissors Stone pop-up shop in Quakers Friars.

Baby It's Cold Outside
I enjoyed the challenge of producing two cards that complemented each other but could also work individually. I settled on the idea of producing vignettes rather than full bleed illustrations quite early on as I liked the idea of playing with the white space and the impact it has on the image - I usually produce full-bleed images but more recently have been experimenting with using more white space. A muted colour palette lends the images a softness that contrasts with the crispness of the digital lines, which is the effect I was going for (I was feeling quite muted at the time!), although it would be interesting to try them out in brighter colours. What I enjoy most is the symmetry of the borders, which I feel unifies them and reflects the spirit of cosiness and "togetherness" that we're supposed to feel at Christmas!

No comments: